Going beyond best practice sharing and providing effective know-how transfer at European level requires a dissemination model based on a systematic approach of IBSME at grassroots level ensured by intermediary structures (universities, teachers training centres, research institutions...) with successful experience in local IBSME implementation.
Fibonacci aims to design, implement and test a process of dissemination in Europe of inquiry-based teaching and learning methods in science and mathematics.
- Inquiry-based science and mathematics education in primary and secondary schools.
- Local initiative for innovation and sustainability.
- Twinning strategy for IBSME spreading.
Reference Centres and Twin Centres
The FIBONACCI project defines a dissemination process from 12 Reference Centres to 24 Twin Centres. The Reference Centres have a recognized expertise for sustainable Inquiry-Based Science and/or Mathematics Education implementation at local or national level.
Each Reference Centre (RC) supports two kinds of Twin Centres by offering training and tutoring.
Twin Centres 1 (TC1) are members of the Fibonacci consortium and the first beneficiaries of the twinning.
Twin Centres 2 (TC2) have been identified at the beginning of the project and will constitute a second dissemination ring.
Five major topics
Common work between partners is organised through five major topics:
- Deepening the specificities of scientific inquiry in mathematics (coordinated by Bayreuth University)
- Deepening the specificities of scientific inquiry in natural sciences (coordinated by La main à la pâte)
- Implementing and expanding a Reference Centre (coordinated by Free University Berlin)
- Cross disciplinary approaches (coordinated by University of Leicester)
- Using the external environment of the school (coordinated by University of Helsinki)
Scientific committee and external evaluation
A scientific committee will supervise the work. The members of the scientific committee are drawn from acknowledged experts in science and maths education.
An external evaluation is also implemented to check achievement and quality.